Passfield Park School

A leader in quality special education

Telephone02 9600 2200

Financial Support for Families

Having a child with a disability can come with extra financial costs. You may be eligible for a concession or discount depending on your circumstances. Below is a selection of options and providers that may be able to help with the provision of rebates or funding.  

Active Kids 

The NSW Government is helping kids to be more active with the Active Kids program. The Active Kids program provides two $100 vouchers for parents, guardians and carers of school-enrolled children to use towards sport and active recreation costs each year. Voucher 1 is valid January to December and Voucher 2 is valid July to December. The vouchers may be used with a registered activity provider for registration, participation and membership costs for sport, fitness and active recreation activities.


Food and Financial Assistance.  As costs for day-to-day expenses such as rent, food and power continue to rise, a setback such as sickness, loss of a job or an unexpected bill can make you feel your financial situation is getting out of control.

Apex Foundation 

Staying at The SHACK - low cost holiday accommodation for chronically ill children and their families.

Appliance Replacement Offer 

If you’re looking to upgrade your old fridge or television, you may be able to get a discount through the Appliance Replacement Offer. If you’re eligible, you could save: 40% off the cost of a new fridge 50% off the cost of a new television. The models on offer have been selected for their energy efficiency, affordability and quality.

Carer’s Vehicle Registration Refund

Apply for a Carer’s Registration Refund – If you receive the Commonwealth Carer Allowance you may be eligible for a refund on some of the vehicle tax when registering a vehicle.

CaringKids GRANTS 

The CaringKids Grant is financial assistance which is available to young carers aged 18 years or under, residing in South East or South West Sydney who undertake a significant caring role (primary young carer or alternate secondary carer) and are facing financial hardship. The grant assists young carers to access recreation & personal development opportunities or household items.

Creative Kids 

NSW Government is helping your cost of living with more than 70 rebates and savings including Creative Kids, which is all about making it easier for school-aged kids (4.5 to 18 years of age) to get involved in creative and cultural activities. Parents, guardians and carers can claim a $100 voucher per year to put towards the cost of lessons and fees with registered providers. It’s a great opportunity to let kids find their passion and learn new skills. Vouchers can be used to contribute to registration, participation and tuition costs for performing arts, visual arts, coding, languages, literature, music and other creative and cultural activities with our approved list of activity providers.

Concession Car Parking at NSW Public Hospitals 

Patients and carers may be eligible for concession rates on parking at NSW public hospitals. To be eligible you need to be:

-          requiring treatment over an extended period

-          attending hospital more than twice a week (including carers of long-term patients who visit frequently).

Concessions are also available for holders of a:

-          Transport for NSW Mobility Parking Scheme permit

-          Pensioner Concession Card

-          Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card

-          Health Care Card.

For detailed information on eligibility and concession fees, visit NSW Health.


EnableNSW provides equipment for people in NSW who live with chronic health conditions or disability. It is not a rebate scheme – you need to apply and be approved in order to receive assistance. The equipment available can assist with: mobility communication self-care. The programs include – Aids and Equipment Program, Home Respiratory Program and Prosthetic Limb Service (PLS). EnableNSW also provides the Away from Home Haemodialysis  program. Before you discuss your needs with your doctor or health professional, check your eligibility using the EnableNSW eligibility indicator to find the right program. The indicator is only a guide so if you’d like to talk to someone about your individual circumstances, contact 1800 ENABLE (1800 362 253) and select the appropriate option

Essential Medical Equipment Payment 

A yearly payment to help with energy costs to run medical equipment or medically required heating or cooling.

Food Hampers – Lomandra Community Pantry

Lomandra Community Project opens the doors to their Grow Together pantry. Supporting families in our local schools and community.

Food Hampers - Woodbine Neighbourhood Centre

Free fruit and vegetables / bread.

Mobility Parking Scheme permit

The Mobility Parking Scheme provides parking concessions to people with mobility disability. There are 2 types of permit issued by Transport for NSW: Individual (blue card) – issued for 5 years if you have permanent disability or Temporary (red card) – issued for up to 6 months if you have a temporary disability.

National Parks Concession Pass 

A National Parks Concession Pass gives eligible pensioners and veterans free car entry into the 45 national parks that charge entry fees. A Companion Card may be issued to people with significant and permanent disability, so that their carer can access tours and attractions in NSW national parks – free of charge.

Pensioner Concessions Vehicle Registrations

If you’re a pensioner, you may be eligible for concessions on your vehicle registration in NSW. Eligible pensioners don’t have to pay: registration fees motor vehicle tax conditional registration fees.

Carer's Vehicle registration refund

If you receive the Commonwealth Carer Allowance you may be eligible for a refund on some of the vehicle tax paid when registering a vehicle.

Pensioner Concessions for licence-related fees

Eligible pensioners receive the following free of charge: licences, driving tests, riding skills test, photo cards and applying or renewing a NSW Mobility Parking Permit (disability parking permit)

Pensioner Water Rebate 

If you receive a pension, you may qualify for a rebate on your water bill.

Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) Safety Net

If you spend a lot of money on medication, you may be able to get your medicines cheaper or free through the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) Safety Net. You can talk with your pharmacist about how to track the cost of all your medicines and get a PBS Safety Net card.

Public transport concessions and subsidies 

NSW government provides a wide range of concessions and subsidies to help with the cost of public transport in and around Sydney.


The Qantas Carer Concession Card is issued to people with significant support requirements who through a physical, sensory, intellectual, cognitive or psychosocial disability are unable to travel on the aircraft without the full time assistance of a carer. A person is eligible if they need to have one-on-one support when seated on the aircraft for assistance with meals/drinks, toileting, administration of medication, orientation, communicating with the flight staff etc. A person is not eligible if they only need assistance boarding the aircraft, or when they arrive at their destination.

Regional Travel Public Transport 

Before you buy train or coach tickets for trips in regional NSW, it’s a good idea to check the many deals that are available.

The Taxi Transport Subsidy Scheme 

The taxi transport subsidy scheme supports NSW residents who are unable to use public transport because of a severe and permanent disability. If you’re eligible, you’ll receive a book of subsidy dockets to use for up to half the metered fare, to a maximum of $60.00 per trip

Salvation Army – No Interest Loan Scheme 

No Interest Loan Scheme Loans you can actually afford. Can’t afford to replace your broken fridge? Is your car in need of repairs to get you to work? Many people have moments like these. Money stress can make us consider solutions that might not be ideal. Renting appliances or getting a quick cash loan may seem like easy options but they’re very costly, with hidden interest rates and extra fees. A No Interest Loan Scheme is a safer way to pay for household items or car-related expenses. Loans are up to $1500, repaid over 12–18 months.

Services Australia – Payments for carers  

We provide payments to people who provide daily care for someone with severe disability, a medical condition, or who is frail aged.

Service NSW – Cost of Living 

The NSW Government is helping ease the cost of living with more than 70 rebates and savings. You can browse NSW Government rebates and savings on this page.

Service NSW – No Interest Loans Scheme (NILS) 

The No Interest Loans Scheme offers people on low incomes, safe and affordable access to credit. The scheme provides up to $1500 for essential goods and services including: household items such as: furniture and whitegoods (stoves, fridges, washing machines) educational necessities such as computers and textbooks some medical and dental services car repairs other items on request. The loans are interest free, there are no fees, and repayments are arranged over 12 to 18 months. To be eligible for NILS you need to:

-          have a health care card/pension card or earn less than $45,000 a year (after tax)

-          have lived in your current premises for more than 3 months

-          show that you’re able to repay the loan in the allotted time period.

Note: NILS cannot be used for cash, rent arrears, holidays, bills or debt consolidation. The loan funds are paid to the store or service provider.

Smart and Skilled 

If you’re a prospective student you may be able to get subsidised training for selected courses through the NSW Government program, Smart and Skilled.

St Vincent’s de Paul Society NSW 

This is a central assistance hotline for anyone who is experiencing financial hardship.

Sydney Water -PlumbAssist support 

We offer a plumbing service for customers who are experiencing financial difficulty and need essential plumbing work.”

Sydney Water – Help with your bill 

Everyone needs essential water services, but we know that unforeseen events such as an illness or relationship breakdown may make it hard to pay your bill. We want to help you keep on top of your bills so they don’t get out of hand and the best way is for you to get in touch with us.

The Family Energy Rebate NSW 

The Family Energy Rebate helps NSW family households with dependent children cover the costs of their energy bills.

The NSW Gas Rebate 

The NSW Gas Rebate helps NSW households cover the costs of their natural gas.